In my previous article, I emphasize that your secretary can make or break you. Your secretary is the extension of your hands and feet in just getting all the things done that you can’t take time “mechanically” to do yourself.
Here are the five ways to manage your secretary, for you to operate at peak performance:
1. Your secretary must be specially selected by you. He or she must be specially or carefully selected by you to suit your temperament.
However, if you are in government offices, whenever you are assigned to your new office, you usually inherit the secretary of your predecessor. So, it takes a lot of patience and perseverance to adjust to each other.
2. Establish warm and friendly relation with your secretary. Although a majority of you are aloof at some people, you must have a harmonious working relationship with your secretary in order to perform effectively.
3. Keep your secretary informed. As anticipated, he or she will be handling confidential information, it’s important to stress to your secretary the need for a tight lip. It is quite futile, however, to anticipate him or her to assist in the management of your office without being aware of what they need to know to get the job done.
4. Know what your secretary is doing. This is one of your basic requirements in using a secretary.
5. Make your secretary adapt to you. The main requirement of a secretary is that he or she be flexible in adapting his or her work habits to those of the executive. In other words, a good secretary requires the personality of a chameleon.
I know you have also some ways in your list and I will be glad to read your thoughts by leaving your comments below this post.