Leaders Must Touch the Heart

by Nimia Acebes on September 21, 2009

Many become leaders because of their positions.  Most often they use their positions as source of their power and authority.  They issue written memoranda, circulars and orders to ensure that people under them follow policies, procedures and instructions.  Non-compliance to these issuances are properly dealt with. People comply with the written directives for fear of losing their jobs or facing charges in government entities or in the courts.

According to John Maxwell, in his book, Your Road Map for Success, “ One of the most common mistakes people make is trying to lead others before developing relationships with them.  It happens all the time.  A new manager starts with a company and expects the people working there to respond to his authority without question…the leader expects to make an impact on his people before building the relationship.  It’s possible that the followers will comply with what the leader’s position requires, but they’ll never go beyond that.”

To touch the people’s heart, leaders must know the people they are working with well.  They must know their weaknesses and strengths and what they could become.  Leaders must associate with their people.

In his book, The Power Principle, Dr. Blaine Lee listed down the following words a leader shall say to himself to check his knowledge of his people:

Do I understand what they want?

Do I know them? How well?

Can I see the whole person?

Do I know the person outside of this situation or task?

Have I “done my homework” on them as well as on what I want them to do?

How well do I really see them?

Am I willing to pay the price to know them?

{ 3 trackbacks }

uberVU - social comments
December 5, 2009 at 4:13 am
Twitted by nimia_a
December 9, 2009 at 2:51 pm
Three Ways to Develop Relationships with the People You Lead
March 6, 2010 at 1:36 am

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Zoran October 1, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Hello,
Everything dynamic and very positively! 🙂
Thanks

Nimia Acebes October 3, 2009 at 9:36 am

Hi Zoran… Thank you very much for your appreciative
comment.

dudedscoggins October 18, 2009 at 3:49 am

Hello Pal,

Good site. Some useful and knowlegeable posts man 🙂 I know, I am creeping,lol. I hope can produce something like this myself one day. Which site did you source your templates from?

Hopefully one of you folks may be able to help me out somewhat here. I am looking for someone who I was reliably informed told used to be a member on here. They did use to use the tag ‘droopylaffs’.

You see I am trying to start my own site on cosmetics type content for things such as: foam strips (hence the where did you get your templates from,lol) but am having realllll difficulty getting hold of dropshippers for these goods. I had been in touch with this guy but my PC got stolen and unfortunately had all my contact details on it (I know, I know, should have backed it up 🙁 )

So if you guys have heard or seen anything of him could you send me a message please? Failing that maybe one of you guys knows someone?

And, which hosting do you use as I keep informed negative stories about the host I am considering of placing my site with. And any other useful tips you can give re starting up my website would be most helpful and very appreciated.

I hope that someone has useful info about this

Thanks Pal,